Fun Palace events kick off National Libraries Week
Several of the county’s libraries will be holding ‘Fun Palace’ events this weekend (Saturday 6 and Sunday 7 October).
This is the second year Suffolk Libraries is getting involved in Fun Palace weekend. Fun Palaces are the brainchild of author Stella Duffy who strongly believes that in lots of different ways “everyone is an artist and everyone is a scientist and we are all geniuses”. Each October, community venues across the UK and beyond hold Fun Palace events to enable everyone to explore their creative and scientific side and also have lots of fun. Events round the country have ranged from something simple such as showing children how to make their own slime to pop-up community choirs.
Fun Palace weekend also takes place just before National Libraries Week 2018 which runs from Monday 8 to Saturday 13 October. Fun Palaces help to celebrate culture in the community with a wide range of fun activities – and everyone is invited!
Krystal Vittles, Head of Service Delivery at Suffolk Libraries, said: “Fun Palaces are excellent activities to inspire communities to come together and learn through having fun. We really believe that everyone has the capacity to learn something new at whatever stage of their life and we hope our Fun Palace events delight and inspire everyone. National Libraries Week is a great time to remind communities that we’re here to provide a vast range of services to them from cradle to grave and what better way than through a Fun Palace.”
The following events are taking place this weekend and the full details are available on our website at https://www.suffolklibraries.co.uk/news/fun-palaces-2018/
Gainsborough Community Library
Saturday 6 October -
- Family sports fun at the 4th Ipswich Scout Hall, Hogarth Road and Landseer Park from 12pm to 4pm. Join us for sports and games and training with Ipswich Boxing Club from 1pm.
- Fun Palace fun for all the family from 1pm to 5pm. Join us for music, Caribbean food, arts and crafts stalls and fun activities.
- Music, speaking and meditation from 7pm to 9pm. Everyone aged 16 and over is invited to enjoy inspirational speakers and relaxing music and meditation. Tickets are only £2 and please book your place.
Sunday 7 October -
- Family sports fun at the 4th Ipswich Scout Hall, Hogarth Road and Landseer Park with sports and games from 12pm to 4pm and Karate drop-in sessions from 1pm to 4pm.
- There will also be fun activities at the library from 11am to 4pm including LEGO, science fun zone and crafts, and a song writing workshop from 1pm to 4pm
Ipswich County Library - Saturday 6 October
Everyone is invited to come along and learn something new. There will also be the opportunity to take part in our ‘I365’ art initiative and pick up some gifts and homewares from The Crafty Collective. The full list of activities include:
- Molly and the Moon storytime and activity sessions at 11am, 12pm 1pm and 2pm in the children’s library.
- 10am-11am - Gouache art techniques for adults
- 11am-12pm - Tunisian crochet for adults
- 1pm-4pm - Board games in the Northgate Room
- 2pm-3pm - Hand-making cards demo for adults and finger crochet for children.
- 2pm-3.30pm - CoderDojo coding activity for 7-17 year-olds (please book).
- 3pm-4pm - Make your own jewellery.
Chantry Library - Sunday 7 October
There will be a range of activities from 10.30am to 1pm including:
- Crazy Kitchen Science making rainbow cabbage water
- Therapy colouring with Suffolk Carer Network
- Crafts with Realise Futures
- Philip Roberts will be giving a talk about his specialist subject ‘The Tudors’ and providing a Tudor related activity
- There will also be knitting and crafts.
Lowestoft Library – Sunday 7 October
Lowestoft Library will be offering a range of activities from 10am to 4pm involving Suffolk Wildlife Trust, 1st Pakefield Scouts, Sound East, the Lowestoft Folk and Square Dance Club and many others to be confirmed. Find out what Fun Palaces are all about with us.
Saxmundham Fun Palace 6 and 7 October
There is also a wide range of activities taking place all weekend for the Saxmundham Fun Palace at a variety of venues including the museum, church hall, primary school and library. Full details can be found at http://funpalaces.co.uk/discover/saxmundham-fun-palace-2/ and the huge range of activities includes sports, art, music, crafts, a Sutton Hoo Roadshow, a guided tour of the town, Beach Bonkers and much more. On Saturday Saxmundham Library will be hosting mozzarella-making with Waitrose, arts and crafts and board games.