Suffolk Libraries celebrates Harry Potter Book Night
In celebration of the best-selling books by J.K Rowling, several libraries across Suffolk are hosting a series of ‘Harry Potter Nights’ which includes the chance to dress up as one of your favourite Hogwarts students and take part in a Sorting Hat ceremony, along with many other different games and crafts.
Harry Potter Book Night officially takes place on the 7th February and has been celebrated the past few years by Suffolk Libraries. Southwold Library Manager Charlotte Clark says: “Harry Potter proves as popular as ever – even 22 years after the first book came out! The children that come to Harry Potter Book Night are a wide spread of ages. Some have read the books, others have watched the films but lots get their first taste of Harry Potter when their parents read them the books before they can read themselves. It’s great that the kids, their parents, our volunteers and all the staff can share in something together that we've all enjoyed and we hope our events can reflect that.”
Sophie Green, librarian at Suffolk Libraries, encourages that even if you have read all the books and watched the films, there is still much more in the Potter world to explore. “There is still more to enjoy including Jim Kay’s beautifully illustrated editions of the first three books, ‘Harry Potter: a journey through a history of magic’ which is a non-fiction book based on the former exhibition at the British Library, the screenplays of the ‘Fantastic Beasts’ films and the playscript of ‘The Cursed Child’.
“And if you haven’t listened to Stephen Fry’s audiobook versions these are brilliant and in stock both as CDs and digitally on both our eAudiobook platforms.” These can be accessed at the Suffolk Libraries website: https://www.suffolklibraries.co.uk/new-suggestions/articles/borrowbox-harry-potter/
Entry is free but advance booking by contacting the library is essential for space reasons.
The following Harry Potter themed events have been confirmed so far:
- Thursday 7th February - Gainsborough Library from 15:30 to 17:00 – Visit the library dressed as your favourite Harry Potter character for magical crafts and more.
- Thursday 7th February – Ipswich County Library from 16:30 to 18:00 – Play in teams of up to four in the Northgate room decorated as the Great Hall at Hogwarts for a Harry Potter Quiz for all the family. Come dressed up for the chance to win a prize. Tickets are limited so please book in advance by contacting the library. Tickets cost £1 for children and £2 for over 16s.
- Thursday 7th February - Southwold Library from 18:00 to 19:00 – Join us for a fancy dress competition, crafts, games, Sorting Hat and more. Contact the library for more details. No booking required.
- Friday 8th February - Glemsford Library from 18:30 to 19:30 – Enjoy a Sorting Hat ceremony, spellbinding readings, the Hidden Hogwarts Quiz or come dressed up to win a prize.
- Friday 8th February – Stowmarket Library from 17:00 – Participate in a giant Quidditch game, seek the snitch, watch live magic, wand duelling and a fancy dress competition.
- Friday 8th February – Sudbury Library from 18:15 – Come along to the library in costume or your best muggle outfit and enjoy a Sorting Hat ceremony, Platform 9 ¾, craft activities, refreshments and more. Tickets cost £3 and accompanying adults attend for free.
- Saturday 9th February – Sudbury Library from 14:30 to 16:00 – Join us in our regular Lego Club spot for a special Harry Potter themed event. Book in advance by contacting the library. Tickets cost 50p.
- Wednesday 20th/21st February – Kesgrave Library from 15:00 to 17:00 – Recreate Hogwarts or one of the fantastic beasts with Lego. Attendees can also purchase raffle tickets for the chance to win Harry Potter themed prizes. Contact Kesgrave on 01473 626103 to attend because space is limited.
Event bookings are made through the individual library you wish to attend. However, if you have any questions or feedback on any of these events, you can e-mail us at email@example.com.